Saturday, May 14, 2011

Whirlwind Week

I wish I had pics with this post right now, but my camera is in Colorado, with Jamie, and won't be back until next week. Hopefully we'll have a little time to get some up before the move.

What a week! Last week, Tuesday to be precise, Jamie got a fabulous e-mail that told him he needed to do a 30-45 minute oral presentation on his thesis before grades were due the next Tuesday. Oh and by the way, Friday's not going to work for the committee. WHAT?! Fortunately Jamie is amazing and was able to throw together a power-point and presented in Cedar on Thursday afternoon and did a great job.

On Friday I had just enough time to do a whole bunch of SHOPPING--not my favorite thing. Side note: if you are shopping for almost a month, at least organize your list so you don't shop the store twice. Have you ever seen that lady at the grocery store trying, mostly successfully, to maneuver two carts? The one who's hair has come completely out of her clip with peanut butter wiped across her shoulder. Yeah, I was that lady. I got home and crashed even though I didn't have anything else to do (like pack for our trip, get clothes ready for graduation, clean house, or pack up household stuff--Nope, nothing to do).

Saturday was Jamie's graduation or "graditution" as Ryan says. We got up at 0dark30 to make the hour drive for Jamie to be at check in at 7:30. It was a proud moment to watch him get hooded. He's worked so hard and I am totally proud of him! We were really grateful to have my parents and grandparents come and join us in Jamie's celebration. Even though Jamie is not done with school, I'm glad he decided to walk because it was nice to recognize his accomplishment.
I think graduations are much the same across the nation: silly lists of things you learn, lightly roasting a couple of popular teachers (only a little because grades aren't posted yet), and the "rah rah, you can start your life now" speeches. But there was a very sweet moment at this one (besides the "yippee Jamie's done" moment). There was a guy graduating who couldn't make it to commencement because he is serving in Iraq. His wife walked for him and received a standing ovation. She was bawling, I cried, my dad cried, I think my mom even shed a tear or two; it was a very moving show of support for our troops.

The rest of Saturday was spent celebrating with a BBQ (have we mentioned we are going to miss St. George weather?), and visiting with my parents and grandparents. That evening Jamie and I got to go on our first out-of-the-house date since...ummmm...I guess my memory doesn't go back that far... My parents watched the kids and we got to go sit at a restaurant, all by ourselves, and talk about whatever we wanted without the 20-second time limit. We went mini-golfing (I let Jamie win--it was his day and all ;D) and thoroughly enjoyed having some time to ourselves. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Sunday was Mother's Day. It was nice to have the kids write cute notes for me and shower me with kisses. I love being a mom! I have absolutely wonderful kids who make my life full of excitement and simple joys. I really appreciated my mom (and dad) coming down and supporting Jamie (and me) at the graduation and for the continued support she shows even as we get ready to move halfway across the nation. I know she doesn't like the idea of us being so far away, but she is still encouraging and supportive. Thanks Mom! Love you!

That afternoon we left for Disneyland!! It was such a fun trip that I'll save that one for later when I can post pics. I will say that the kids were so much fun and we had a marvelous time!

Once we got back from Disney on Thursday night, we rested, did laundry and packed Jamie up to head to Indiana early this morning so he can find a place for us. He is currently in Colorado and hopes to make it mostly across Nebraska today. What a crazy, crazy week!





3 comments:

Tricia said...

Crazy fun at your house!!! Good luck to you in Indiana. Hope all goes well. :)

Debbie and Cory said...

Call me so we can catch up! Holy cow you have been up to a ton!

Jen H said...

It has been forever since I updated myself on others blogs (or added to my own regularly haha). So many fun changes for you guys! Congratulations on all of them and good luck with the next chapter! :)