Sunday, September 27, 2009

Surprise Party!

On Saturday morning we got treated to a great surprise! At 3:30 I woke up and got some pretty consistent hints that something was going down, but since birth day wasn't for several weeks, I was convinced that it wasn't real and tried to go back to sleep. That didn't work so I got up just before 5 and started picking up my room. Still in denial, I showered around 6 and finally got a clue when I realized that my contractions seemed right on top of each other. I woke Jamie up at 6:30 and told him to shower. While he was in there I decided I'd better time the contractions--about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes apart. That's when I finally clued in that we should probably go--soon. We called our wonderful neighbors to come watch the kids and left. As we were getting in the car I asked Jamie to push on my back during a contraction. Well, all I said was push and pointed to my back. "Push on your back?...Wait! You push? NO YOU DON'T PUSH!!" (That's when Jamie got a little keyed up.) You know those movies where the mother is panting or screaming in the passenger seat and the father is driving like a maniac to get her to the hospital before baby comes? Yeah, our 6 minute drive to the hospital took 3 (although I wasn't screaming). We went up to the nurses' station and I told them that I was having a contraction and that I had to push. See...there's lingo at the hospital to get you their 5-star service. If you go to the ER with a cut, you'll wait 6 or 7 hours before you get a room. However, you go with that same cut and tell them your chest hurts and you are having a hard time breathing, BAM! you've got a room. Same with Labor and Delivery: you tell them you are in labor, they ask you seven million stupid questions at the front desk, take you back and monitor you and finally a couple of hours later they let you into a room and officially declare you "checked in." Apply the lingo: You walk in, put on a pouty face and tell them you have to push and BAM! you're in. We were at the hospital for a total of 4 contractions before Caleb came. I couldn't have planned that better. One of the nurses was extremely nervous and told me to "just close your legs" so the Dr. could get there. I wasn't too keen on that and let her know--unfortunately at top volume--that we were not going to wait. (I didn't realize that I yelled at her until later, oops.) We got there and got my name in the computer at 6:53 and our birthday boy showed up at 6:54. SURPRISE!!!

Caleb Dallin Childers born at 5 lbs. 15 oz and 19 inches long.
Ten minutes after we arrived at the hospital.

Perfectly beautiful and healthy!

14 comments:

Susan said...

WOW! That is the kind of thing that I have nightmares about, LOL. But he is beautiful, CONGRATS!!!

rachel said...

What a great story!

And what a great lookin little man. Congrats Amanda. He is precious.

Jen Childers said...

Seriously so amazing. I've been waiting for some pics...now these are a week old and I'm ready for some more:) Thanks for posting!

Heidi said...

Congrats! Glad you got to the hospital! WOW!

Amber Draper said...

I'm glad you are both healthy and doing well. What a sweet little boy! Congratulations!!!

Kim said...

Wow! That is so awesome. Nothing like an exciting delivery story and early to boot! Love the name and we are so happy that everyone is well. Congratulations!

~Kim

Debbie and Cory said...

That is a GREAT story!!! Congrats again, I am so happy for your family!!!

hannah said...

Oh my goodness, he is so cute! Congrats! I can't wait for MORE pics!

Jamie, Amanda, and Kids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig and Stephanie said...

Congrats! That was fast :)

Anonymous said...

A beautiful girl and a handsome boy. I'm sending Mom!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!!! SO glad you guys made it! Congratulations! Amanda, you can yell at any staff that gives dumb suggestions...:)

Love ya! Rebecca

Bonnie said...

Beautiful mother and baby! Congratulations!