Monday, July 12, 2010

New Carpet

After Jamie got his new job, we decided that we were going to stay in our place for at least a couple more years while Jamie goes to school. We had Laminate flooring from our front room all the way through our "hallway," kitchen and dining room. While I love laminate and hope to have it, or hardwood, in my home someday, it is very loud in the living room. We had a rug, but that wasn't enough. It seemed like I was constantly vacuuming and trying to keep things clean and it never looked crisp. So we headed off to RCWilley. I have never been to a carpet place before. WOW!! Thousands upon thousands of square feet filled with bolts and bolts of carpet. I was stumped. How do we even get started choosing? I had an idea that I wanted some sort of beige with multi-colored strands mixed in. Do you know how many beiges there are? Let me tell you, it was no easy feat. Finally we got samples from several that we liked and herded our cats--uuh, children--out of the store (note: to keep your sanity--don't take children when making decorating decisions. They were good but just couldn't resist the urge to run and play hide and seek among the millions of carpet forts). When we got home we realized the samples we really liked at the store looked atrocious in our front room. Ironically the one we liked the least at the store, ended up being the one that worked perfectly with the coloring and lighting of our house. This was a big enough decision that we left all of the samples spread out on the floor and slept on it--the decision, not the floor. The next day we still agreed and went and bought it and the pad and came home and "installed" it.
It was one of our first DIY projects together and we had a blast with it! I found that I really like laying carpet (of course we didn't have to do any seams or stretching so it was just measuring and cutting, but I loved it). The kids thought it was great. I have to say that I am still really glad we did that. It warms up the room and now I can have a nice, crisp room that looks so relaxing. :)

No comments: